Skip to content

Holidays

  • Make sure to keep Halloween candy out of your pets’ reach. All chocolate (especially dark chocolate) can be dangerous or even lethal for dogs. Gum and candy often contains xylitol (an artificial sweetener), which is also poisonous.
  • There are many cats and kittens in shelters in need of homes! They have no one to celebrate National Cat Day with them. If you have the time and resources to do so, consider giving one (or two) a loving forever home.
  • If you plan to dress your pet for Halloween, make sure he or she enjoys it. Being forced to wear a costume can only add to the stress of this holiday.
  • Safely confine your cats and dogs in the house on Halloween. Scary trick-or-treaters can frighten pets, which may result in them escaping out the front door.
  • Don’t leave animals unattended outdoors around Halloween. Cruel pranksters can hurt your animals, especially black cats. Make sure yours is safely inside!
  • Avoid a visit to the veterinary emergency hospital during the┬áholiday season! Keep pets away from the kitchen, don’t let friends and family feed them and prevent access to the trash.
  • The Thanksgiving foods most dangerous to pets include: grapes and raisins, xylitol (an artificial sweetener), fatty table scraps, bones and turkey legs, onion, leeks, chives, garlic, unbaked yeast bread dough and alcohol.
  • After a holiday meal, don’t take a nap! Snap on your dog’s leash and go for a walk. It will be great exercise for you after a large meal and a great treat for your pooch.
  • Pets are most likely to become obese over this holiday season compared to the rest of the year. Don’t give in to begging! Roly-poly pets are at risk for serious medical diseases, including a decreased life span.
  • Holidays mean more people coming and going through front doors of homes. Please make sure both cats and dogs are microchipped in case the door remains ajar a second too long.
  • Pets can become sick from drinking the water under the Christmas tree. Prevent them from accessing the water by covering it with a towel, plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
  • Lilies even in small amounts can be lethal for cats. They are attracted to their smell, taste and texture. The petals, leaves, stems and pollen are very poisonous. If you suspect your kitty has ingested any part of a lily get her to the vet immediately.
  • Candles and pets don’t mix. There’s no telling where a wagging pet’s tail will end up! Your best option is to use battery-operated candles that look like the real thing.
  • If possible block pets from holiday gifts and decorations. Ribbon, tinsel, ornaments and chocolate are all dangerous if ingested. Strings of lights and extension cords are also prime targets and should be unplugged when not in use.
  • This holiday season consider giving a shelter pet the gift of a new furever home. Most shelter animals are there through no fault of their own. Issues like death, divorce and job loss often lead owners to surrender pets.
  • If you’re looking for a gift for your dog, why not indulge him with the gift of time/attention? Instead of a walk to wear him out, walk slowly and let him sniff his way around. Lingering around a fire hydrant is a great gift to your dog!
  • Resist the urge to take your dog(s) to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep them safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.
  • Noise from fireworks are a problem for many cats and dogs. If you anticipate your pet having a problem with noise on July 4th, please call our office to discuss solutions.